The first post-Reformation Catholic church of Berlin was built from 1747 to 1773 under the reign of Friedrich II. Johann Boumann senior executed the construction work under plans of Friedrich II. and G. W. von Knobelsdorff. The patrocinium documents the reference to the Catholic Silesian. St Hedwig’s Cathedral is a Roman-Catholic Episcopal church since 1930. After war destruction in 1943 and reconstruction from 1952 to 1963 the originally classicistic building, modelled on the pantheon in Rome has now a modern interior equipment and impresses with an exceptional room layout in upper church and lower church with 8 chapels. The new dome made of 84 ferroconcrete segments is a technical masterstroke.
Please find further information on the homepage of St.Hedwigs-Kathedrale